How could we improve Flow?

Manage tags menu - add, edit, delete tags

Would be nice to have the option to manage tags more actively. A separate page or sidebar that allows you to add, edit, or delete unused tags would be ideal.

82 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Brendan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Owen Schultz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I guess one way to keep all tags active is to have a sacrificial task (that is tagged with all tags) that you tuck away somewhere and is never marked completed. A pain to manage and continually add new tags to, but at least they won't disappear from the master list.

• William commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to express that tasks have implications for multiple organisational areas is crucial. Tags are an effective way to do this, but it's important that the team can visualise and understand these organisational structures for them to be effective.

Tags can be a very powerful secondary level of task classification and taxonomy.

Please consider allowing organisations to define a list of appropriate tags and show those tags on the left-hand panel for quick access to the related tasks.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Noticed that even if we have no open tasks with a tag, it still appears as suggested when adding a new task. It would be great if it never appeared again. It easily gets confusing when people add similar but not identical tags.

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be useful if Flow allowed added of tags via the # in the quick add view. Wunderlist does this nicely with # and @7pm. It's frustrating otherwise to have to type in task and then navigate with mouse to the the little tag icon.

• Lee Branch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please reconsider this, I've had to create a project that lists the tags I need as tasks. Not great!

• Julian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be very helpful to be able to edit/delete tags on multiple tasks at once.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"As it stands now, tags disappear from auto-completion when there are no longer any open tasks with those tags."

I don't think they do fully, unless you need to wait 24 hours or something. I'm still seeing a bunch of tags I'm not using show up when I try to tag all my projects.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is downright bonkers that I can’t see a list of all tags. Once I’ve created a tag, it disappears into the abyss, and there’s no way to pull it up unless I can remember it and search for it. Once a team has a bunch of tags, this becomes ridiculous.

Even worse, if I want to quickly delete a tag, I can’t! I have to go find EACH AND EVERY TASK that the tag is attached to, then delete the task from each one. This is one of the most mind-boggling product decisions I have ever heard. Even the most basic task management apps have this feature. Why in the world have you ignored it? Instead, you introduce a half-baked tasks solution that hardly solves any problem, but creates others.

• Mark Green commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Two handy features for extending tags.

From Things - tags can be placed into groups which expand when clicked. So rather than a single big list of tags, the list can be divided into groups. Tags from each group are assumed to be mutually exclusive, so each group represents a piece of information (such as "location") and it's easy to switch between different locations without having to scroll through other tags.

Tag inheritance/calculation: Allow tags to be automatically added based on rules which take the current set of tags on the task as input. For example, if I tag a task "Mac", I might want the tag "Office" added automatically if that is where my Mac is. If I tag it "PC" it could be tagged with both "Home" and "Office".

Feedback and Knowledge Base